Free Income Tax Preparation
The Care Center has been certified by the IRS as a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site. This is a free program to help low-and moderate-income individuals and families have their federal and state tax returns prepared and filed electronically at no cost. Our goal is to help our guests more by providing professional services that will help them save money.
Beginning on January 20, 2014, guests whose annual income is at or below $52,000, may request an appointment to have their 2013 tax returns prepared by our certified volunteers.
There are three options for you to make your appointment:
- In person at the Care Center lobby when the Care Center is open and a scheduling volunteer is available. Please look for our table in the lobby.
- By Email at email@example.com.
- By phone at (224)512-1344. Please leave a message in English or Spanish, and clearly leave your name and phone number. All calls will be returned within 48 hours.
Guests should bring the following items, that apply, to their tax appointment:
- A valid photo ID
- Social Security Cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for all family members
- A copy of last year’s federal and state income tax returns
- W-2 forms for every job you had in 2013
- All Forms1099 you received (Unemployment Benefits, Social Security Income, etc.)
- Mortgage and real estate taxes paid statements
- Day care expenses statement
- Form 1098T and all college tuition and student loans statements
- Medical expenses paid and health insurance premiums paid
- Charitable contributions statements
- A blank check, if direct deposit of return amount is desired.